A woman who was only identified as Liu demanded Inke, a live streaming app operated by Beijing MeeLive to refund 657,000 yuan ($133,900) that Xiao Ya, her 16-year-old daughter, spent spoiling handsome hosts with “virtual gifts”.
Liu had already lost a lawsuit to recover her money way back in September but she was able to submit an appeal to Beijing No 3 Intermediate People’s Court.
Xiao Ya used her tuition money and her mother’s bank account while studying in Canada to reward hosts on Inke. She had sent digital gifts of money to show affection to her favorite hosts.
Lui added that her daughter had stolen her ID and bank account number to access her bank information.
“I was shocked when I found out my daughter had blown hundreds of thousands of yuan online, but my daughter told me: So what? Everyone else is doing it; even my classmate’s dad is in on the fun,” Liu said in an interview with Legal Mirror.
The cheapest gifts like a flower cost 0.1 yuan but the most expensive is a paradise island that costs about 3,350 yuan.
Demanding for a refund might be tough battle because according to Asia One, all of the purchases made by Xiao Ya were registered under Liu’s name. Moreover, the purchases were done overseas so tracking the evidence is difficult.
According to China Daily, the company has been pushing real-name registration and face recognition systems to reduce overspending by children.
Inke will implement a manual supervision and evaluation system that can detect overspending within a time period.
Latest posts by Buzzer Ramona (see all)
- 27-Year-Old Chinese Woman Loves Eating Out, Puts Her Life in Danger - January 20, 2018
- Malaysian Student Eats on the Canteen’s Floor after Parents Take Over the Seats - January 20, 2018
- Young Couple in Indonesia Spends Alone Time in a Rambutan Farm, Forcibly Married by Their Parents - January 19, 2018
- 16-Year-Old Italian Boy Sues Mother for Posting His Photos on Social Media - January 19, 2018
- Teenager Uses Smartphone While Taking a Bath, Dies from Electrocution - January 17, 2018