In this digital age wherein different dating sites, apps and services are available who would have thought that there are still people who would write letters in hopes that they would find love?
A 500-year-old tree located just outside of Eutin, in Germany, Bridegroom’s Oak has its own personal address and usually receives around 40 letters every day sent by love seekers from all over the world in hopes that someone would read them and write back.
“There’s something so magical and romantic about it. On the internet, facts and questions match people, but at the tree, it’s a beautiful coincidence – like fate,” a 72-year-old postman delivering letters to the Bridegroom’s Oak said in an interview with BBC.
Bridegrooms Oak has been living for over 500 years but became a love guru around 100 years ago.
In 1890, a girl named Minna fell in love with Wilhelm, a young chocolate maker. Her father opposed their relationship and forbade her from seeing the boy. So, instead of giving up on each other, they exchanged love letters in secret, leaving them in a knothole of the tree known as Bridegroom’s Oak; however, Minna’s father found out that they continued their forbidden relationship a year after.
Luckily, he gave the couple the permission to marry. According to the locals, Minna and Wilhelm got married on June 2, 1891, under the oak tree.
The couple’s story spread around Eutin and soon around the world, people were able to find love by writing romantic letters and leaving them in the tree’s knothole. It became so popular that the Deutsche Post assigned it its own address and postal code, allowing people not only in Germany but even abroad to send in their letters.
When visiting the Bridegroom’s Oak, love-seekers only need to follow one simple rule: to check letters in its knothole, take with them the one they wish to reply to but they have to put the others back for other people to find.
Do you think that finding love would be impossible there? Well, 100 marriages and other romantic relationships were all because of this Bridegroom’s Oak.
Latest posts by Buzzer Ramona (see all)
- Indian Man Rants on Facebook Video after ‘Racist’ Interview at a Singaporean Company - March 19, 2018
- 24-Year-Old Man Becomes Paralyzed after Sitting Down on the Toilet, Scrolling His Phone for a Long Time - March 19, 2018
- Mother Shares Daughter’s Experience with Color Shaming, Receives Backlash from Netizens - March 18, 2018
- Heartless Teacher Asks Poor Student to Lick Toilet Twelve Times, Receives a Very Lenient Sanction - March 18, 2018
- 44-Year-Old Chinese Reporter Goes Viral for Looking Young in the Past Two Decades - March 17, 2018