Virginia Estelle McDowell Clark, boarded the Titanic together with her husband Walter Miller Clark, as first-class passengers.
They were on a vacation in Europe when they booked a trip on the Titanic to make it to Los Angeles in time for the birthday of their two-year-old son.
Virginia brought along with her a gold locket in her Titanic journey. And this gold locket is currently displayed at an exhibition, as part of the commemoration of the 105th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic on April 15.
Curator and Vice President of Collections for Premier Exhibitions Alexandra Klingerhofer told TODAY that Virginia ran to her husband after she felt the ship hitting an iceberg.
Walter helped Virginia rode a lifeboat which was supposed to pick up other passengers as it lowered down. At that time, men were separated from women and children.
However, the lifeboat was not able to pick up other passengers on its way down. When it reached the ocean water, there are still a lot of seats available.
“Had they known earlier, Walter could have gotten on to the boat with her, but he did not. He stayed with the other first class men and bravely went down with the ship,” Klingerhofer said.
The gold locket, with an engraved initial ‘VC’, was discovered in 1994 during a Titanic wreckage mission. According to Klingehofer, the Clarks’ cabin was located near the area where the ship broke apart. It was found together with some poker chips, a pair of gold cuff links made from Turkish coins, gold label pins, and a gold-plated cosmetic container.
Virginia survived the shipwreck and passed away in either 1957 or 1958.
Latest posts by Buzzer Rhev (see all)
- Family Dog Stays with Wandering Toddler Until He was Found - October 17, 2017
- Brazilian Mom Gives Birth to 12-lb Baby Girl, Makes New Hospital Record - October 17, 2017
- Mother and Son Survive the Australian Bushland with No Food for 10 Days - October 15, 2017
- Australian Court Accepts Unsent Text Message as Man’s Last Will - October 14, 2017
- Farmer Gives His Reward Money to the Kidnapped Girl He Rescued - October 11, 2017