We take our planet for granted, laughing at scientists and environmentalists who are always spouting stuff about global warming, climate change, rising sea levels, melting icecaps, stuff like that. We absolutely love sci-fi movies about the climate and changes in the world, about how crazy the earth can be – we love those! They even become blockbuster hits.
But have we stopped to think of what really is happening in our planet? We don’t often think that there’s truth to the what these naysayers are talking about – many of think them to be nutcases, when all they are doing are doing their best to save the planet for our kids and grandkids.
If you still feel skeptical about climate change, check these photos out. They are incredible testaments of what man has done to his home.
1. The ice is melting…the polar bears’ home is getting smaller.
2. Spot the difference: Folsom Lake
3. Severe droughts affect crops in farms. In turn, these could affect food supply.
4. Uncontrollable wildfires have become more frequent.
5. There’s already a shortage of food in many parts of the earth.
6. The climate is changing, with “biblical” floods affecting many parts of the world.
7. Scary dust storms engulf entire cities with choking dust, making breathing difficult.
8. Fish kills are also becoming a common occurrence.
9. Most of the time, the exact reasons for the fish kill are unknown – but it is climate change! You just can’t pinpoint which of its many factors affected the waters.
10. Fish kills can happen anywhere in the world.
11. The ice that once was part of a glacier has turned into water.
12. Strong hurricanes are being experienced across the world, including the devastating Hurricane Sandy.
13. Cars after Hurricane Sandy.
14. More photos of destruction from Hurricane Sandy.
15. Can you guess what these structures are? They once were boat docks! With the lake’s water levels going down, these docks are useless.
16. Not profoundly amazed by this photo? Well, just use the boats in the water as scale. Incredibly sad, isn’t it?
17. Lakes, rivers, streams, and creeks are disappearing because of severe droughts.
18. Ocean waters are becoming acidic – and full of trash. The acidic water could probably explain the frequent, massive fish kills.
19. While droughts are experienced in other parts of the world, rising water levels affect the others. Island nations and beaches are going under the water.
20. Yes, the sea level is rising. With more ice caps melting, the sea levels will continue to rise.
21. Now, hot places such as Jerusalem are experiencing snow!
22. And who could ever forget the devastation brought by Super Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)? It is the most powerful storm to ever make landfall – and it hit the Philippines!
23. Algal blooms are also causing problems, killing fishes and affecting our food supply.
24. That’s not juice. That’s a glass of water from a lake with algal bloom.
25. There is so much pollution everywhere – and it is destroying our planet at an alarming rate.
Aren’t we forgetting something? There is no Planet B. If we lose this planet Earth, there’s nowhere to turn to. We’re doomed.